part of my world

 

Friday, January 27, 2006

The great escape

What an eventful fortnight. I am sure my group members would agree with me. We are indeed blessed. HAHA!

It all started first at the psychiatry ward..

Stepped into the male ward, and then out of no where, this guy came forward and pull a chair to where we were sitting.. "I volunteer to be interview. My file is 03. Come la.. I wanna be interviewed." Oh-kay. Such enthusiasm.

Surely the haloperidol did not exert it's side effects on him.

Then was the ward rounds.. in came the consultant.. the 1.5 hours would probably be the longest in my life! Never felt so stressed! CNS was like 3 semesters ago.. So remembered nothing when he asked about quetiapine.

All of us coincidentaly were assigned to clerk female patients so we headed off to the female ward situated deeper into the psychi ward.

"What are you all doing here? I tell you, you are a bunch of useless people. $%#$. Show me your IC! Show me your IC! %%$^&" the shrill voice just gets higher n higher in pitch as the patient got angier.

Then came bipolar lady all wet from the toilet looking distress. Turned around and whoa.. a striptease.

As shrill lady continued to accuse us for i-dunno-what and kept demanding for our IC, another lady shouted and asked her to stop screeching. That was the que.. The whole ward started shouting.

Concentrate on case notes, Charis..

Bipolar lady, mumbling to herself marches to the sink with a mirror. Looked into the mirror and started scratching her head. Then, suddenly and immediately she started crying and wailing. Marches back to bed. Lie down, stopped crying instantly and continues to mumble. After an hour or so, it happened all over again.

Shouting begins again and JT's patient "They are so noisy, I can't be holy"

Since we were in the female ward, the guys generally had better treatment from the patients.

"Hi, I like your tie, i like your face.. you are so handsome. I'm from NTV7, i want to interview you." Patient gives a look of admiration..

It was an experience and your heart goes out to these patients because of their condition. It's sad to learn what makes them come to this point. That was Day 1.

Day 2. Was supposed to present the case to the consultant. There I was, clutching the BNF and sweating profusely. and then.. we found out he couldn't make it!!!! Hoorah! Great escape #1

Next was Dermatology clerkship.

Escaped the grand ward round by the head of the department... she's away!! Hoorah! Great escape #2!

So all in all, we escaped with only minor scratches... no bullet holes! Phew..

Haha.. Now don't be jealous.. I know, it's good enough to escape one but two altoghether?!? Unbelievable!

posted by Charis at 4:09:00 pm


~~*~~