part of my world

 

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Taking risks

I am never or hardly a risk taker.

But no matter how I tried to balance and weigh everything from its pros and cons, somehow I realised that we can never escape taking risks. Life itself is full of uncertainty. Therefore, not all problems or issues can be decided by weighing which is better and which is worst.

Sometimes, the crossroad itself is foggy. We cannot decide which path leads to the greens and which to the sand. The path that leads to the left or to the right. Which is good and which is bad. Which is better and which is worst. Which would you prefer? A lush green pasture or a sandy bay? Fields of petunias or seashells and sandcastles? Which is better? How would you know?

Yes, we can anticipate and imagine what the outcome would be if we made a choice of petunias instead of sandcastles or vice versa but how accurate are our anticipation and imagination? In present, we can only let our mind wander and picture creatively the outcome of our choices but what it eventually turns out to be could deviate. There is no standard equation to the outcome like in maths,
1 + 1 = 2
or
10 - 4 = 6

In life, 1+1 could equal to 11 or 47567 or 9465384. It could be anything. And yeah, it could by 1:7864343243 chances still be equal to 2.

Logic helps a little but it sits mostly in the sidelines.

I used to think that with logic, you can always decide which path to take when you meet a crossroad. I realised that logic is not effective anymore because I do not know which path is better. Would I prefer a green pasture or perhaps white fine sand? Which will suit me more?

It's rather funny that I am asking that because I really don't know which. Sounds like I hardly know myself now.

Both no doubt has its pros and cons but which bad is BAD and which good is really good?

What I would normally tell people and myself is that in the end of the day, the choice would be the one that makes you most happy and after making that choice, there should never be any regrets shall you look back one day. I know that. But the thing is I don't know which makes me happier. How would you know what the path would offer when you have not traveled it? How do you decide when both paths are equally foggy. It couldn't even offer a slightest clue of how it would look like.

This is where you have to reluctantly give up your logical senses and TAKE RISKS. Bear all the consequences of your choice. Good or bad. Reap the fruit and drink in the sorrow.

I don't like this. The choice is based on some intangible reasoning without knowing the outcome. It's not substanstial and is basically like trying to grasp the wind.

Lord, which path is worth the risk?

posted by Charis at 12:04:00 am


~~*~~